Featured Post

The Scouring of the Shire, Part 2: The Ruffians Arrive

Good morning gamers, We're back for scenario two of the Scouring of the Shire campaign and today Bill Ferny is back, leading a ragtag ba...

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Quest of the Ringbearer: Model Collection Update, Part VI

Good morning gamers,

Last time we finished up the normal scenarios from Quest of the Ringbearer, but if you've looked at the Fantasy Fellowship campaign, you know that they steal scenarios from other books too (Gondor at War and War in Rohan) so you can use the "not Frodo and Sam models" more in your games (and let's be honest, it's more exciting this way). Since Fantasy Fellowships are a fun way to play the game, I figured we'd go over how I'm doing on that front (since some of my purchases have been directed that way).

Part VI: Fantasy Fellowship Missions from War in Rohan

There are five Rohan-based scenarios in Fantasy Fellowships:

  • Ambush at Night
  • Warg Attack
  • The Deeping Wall
  • Ride Out
  • Eomer's Return
These scenarios feature 1 scenario for your Merry/Pippin characters to participate in, 3 scenarios for your Aragorn/Legolas characters, 2 scenarios for your Gimli character (because he's too busy tooting someone else's horn to be in the Ride Out scenario), and 1 scenario for your Gandalf character - so 6 heroes in 5 scenarios. Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli substitutes will get armor if they don't already have it in the Deeping Wall scenario and all subsequent ones, while your Gandalf character gets their buffed version (Gandalf the White, Galadriel Lady of Light, or +1 Attack and -1 to the casting difficulties of their spells to a minimum of a 2+). 

Fun times await - let's see how we're doing!

Purchase #45: Captain of Rohan on foot and mounted


I have an actual Captain of Rohan (more on him at the end of this post), but my Captain of Rohan is Ordwald, astride his faithful steed, Fluttershy. I showed my infantry Eomer model last time - here you can also see his mounted version.

Purchase #46: 24 Riders of Rohan


I have 16 Riders of Rohan (including Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, and Pinkie Pie) without throwing spears and 3 with throwing spears - basically, I need 5 more throwing spears. As I mentioned in the last post in this series, I plan to get the new Eomer, which should free up one throwing spear, so I need 4 throwing spears from the Pelennor Fields box set (coincidentally, that's all that comes in the set). The dismounts were shown in the previous article (where I needed 4 more throwing spears, if you recall).

Purchase #47: 3 Rohan Ourtiders on foot and mounted

I don't have these guys right now and will be converting Riders of Rohan into fancy-plumed archers after I secure another Pelennor Fields box set (these guys are really pricey if you get the real guys).

Purchase #48: Mauhur and Vrasku


This was my Mauhur conversion from ages ago. The original model is a bit uninspired, while the Uruk-Hai Scout poses are some of the coolest in the game (especially the ones with no extra gear). I don't own Vrasku, don't need Vrasku, and if I ever need to play the one scenario from War in Rohan that has him, I'll use my crossbow-armed Uruk-Hai Captain conversion.

Purchase #49: Grishnakh and Snaga

I don't own these guys, but wouldn't mind having them sometime in the future. Are they high on my acquisition list? No . . . not at all . . .

Purchase #50: Theoden on foot and mounted


Yep, it's Theoden - everyone has him now and more importantly, everyone actually wants to run him now! My Theoden has his helmeted head options because I believe in stealing bare-headed versions of my models for Osgiliath Veteran conversions. :)

Purchase #51: Aragorn and Legolas on horses


I bought two used lots on eBay that each came with an armored Aragorn model charging at Helm's Deep. While I originally thought I could sell one off for a few bucks, I noticed when he arrived that his legs were slightly separated (I thought they were welded together). As it happens, if you pry them apart a little, you can fit him on a horse. So I did. A mounted Legolas would be nice, but if I get one, it'll probably be the Hobbit-era one, since I'd be more likely to run Legolas from that list mounted than from the Fellowship.

Purchase #52: Gamling on foot and mounted and Hama


Gamling I have - and yes, the banner took ages to paint and three of them look more like dogs than horses. :) Still, it was my first big free-handing effort and I'm super stoked with how it came out. I don't own Hama - I keep watching for a good deal on one that I can swoop up off eBay because I don't want a second Gamling set.

Purchase #53: Sharku on foot and mounted

I don't own Sharku but have him deep in the weeds of acquisition. Someday maybe - I don't miss him now and don't see myself running his Legion at all, so like Grishnakh and Snaga, he's "on the list" but not high on it.

Purchase #54: 18 Warg Riders

I don't have these guys, but I already have plans to get 12 Warg Riders to use as Wild Wargs for Part II of Quest of the Ringbearer - so we just need one extra box after we get those.

Purchase #55: 12 Galadhrim Warriors


For a long time (when these guys only had "armor" instead of "heavy armor"), I thought these guys were garbage - Wood Elves for me, please and thank you. Now that they have heavy armor, I've accumulated a fair set of these guys and am finishing their basing to make them army ready. These are some of my favorites - the sculpts look a little weird, but they're nice models, I think.

Purchase #56: 3 Uruk-Hai Captains with shields


I've had the center Captain since the very beginning of my collection and thanks to a bunch of Uruk-Hai Scouts, I did two head-swaps for similarly-posed Uruk-Hai Warriors to have three Captains with shields. These guys can be really useful in an Assault Upon Helm's Deep LL list (though crossbows are also popular, as are two-handed axes for me). The head-swapped Uruk-Hai Scouts have bows and will be used as Uruk-Hai Scout Captains to keep them different from the rest of the gang.

Purchase #57: 8 Uruk-Hai Berserkers


I was a little surprised to find that . . . I actually have eight of these guys! They were all purchased from eBay lots - and as such, I actually have no bombs for them to detonate. Two were missing their swords, so they have the blades that come from the Siege Crew in the demo team set (I have twenty of those guys . . . most of which have been converted into crossbowmen, but they are useful as extra crew for ballistas, and of course for carrying bombs).

Purchase #58: 30 Uruk-Hai Warriors


I've basically had these guys since the beginning, but I needed 3 more pikes. When I had the chance to get about 10 more of them, I finally had enough to make my Assault Upon Helm's Deep list happy too. Here are 30 guys - ALL of which need to have some basing love done on them . . . soon . . .

Purchase #59: 4 Rohan Royal Guards on foot and mounted

I don't have these guys - but I do plan to get two sets of each to have 4 Royal Guards. I personally like running Riders of Rohan (more flexible as skirmishers, though squishier), so I don't think I'll be spamming them out. The two remaining Royal Guards (spoiler alert for next time) will be used as stand-ins for Deorwine and Elfhelm until I pluck up the courage to buy the ForgeWorld models.

Purchase #60: Erkenbrand on foot and mounted


I mentioned at the start that I have a Captain of Rohan - I saw a deal on the old "just Captain" blister on eBay and when I was heavily considering running the Riders of Eomer LL and couldn't find an Erkenbrand model, I said to myself, "Self, those poses are quite similar." Some putty for a plume and two war horns from a Saxon Thegn set (seriously, I've gotten so much mileage out of that Warlord Games kit - best hobby purchase I've ever made) and I've got Erkenbrand! He's really fun to use and I love him dearly.

Conclusion

Here's how the standings look - we're getting there!

  • Current Model count: 
    • Part I: 42/42 (100%)
    • Part II: 43/55 (~78%)
    • Part III: 27/27 (100%)
    • Part IV: 129/162 (~80%)
    • Part V: 81/115 (~70%)
    • Part VI: 83/126 (~66%)
    • TOTAL: 405/527 (~78%)
  • Estimated cost remaining: ~$550

No comments:

Post a Comment