Featured Post

Tournament Time: Rythbryt's Army Thoughts (Grand Tournament 2024)

Bonus post this week. Must be something special going on... ;) As faithful readers of the blog know, TMAT's annual GT is coming up this ...

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Quest of the Ringbearer: Model Collection Update, Part I

Good morning gamers,

Last year, I wrote a post on the models you need to collect in order to play everything in the Quest of the Ringbearer supplement. My goal over the next few years is to collect them all (you gotta catch 'em all, or so I'm told) and today is the mid-2021 update for where I am with that. Let me lead off this post as follows:

I'm not a great painter.

I'm not - I'm just not. I DO take my time and I DO experiment with new techniques. What you're about to see is the progression of a painter - some of the models I'm showcasing today are older models from when I started in the hobby, while others are newer. I think learning to paint well is a process - something we get better at with repetition and experimentation (both of which can mean that models will look bad on the way to getting to something good). So, be kind out there and let's get stuck in!

Part I: The Shire to Rivendell

This first bit of the journey doesn't require a lot of models, but many are used for a single mission. This means that collecting everything for this bit isn't that hard, but might not be a high priority until after you've collected a few of the other bits.

Purchase #1: The Fellowship of the Ring

I started off my journey in the hobby back in 2010 and got the Mines of Moria starter kit (which I loved very much - not as good value as the Battle for Pelennor Fields box set, but about one-third the price, so . . .). This means I started with the Fellowship. I have since collected at least one new copy of each member of the Fellowship (though my "new" Gandalf went to my son, who likes Gandalf), so I painted up a new Breaking of the Fellowship Legendary Legion core and just use my old Gandalf.

The Breaking of the Fellowship LL is one of my favorites right now . . .

I also have my original Moria-themed Fellowship, which I have no intention of repainting - always keep your old work, since it shows how far you've come in your painting journey.

Some of the first models I painted - though the Aragorn, Sam, and Legolas are newer . . .

These guys are beloved - and if you're just getting started in the hobby, I highly recommend the Fellowship blister. They're a cheap army, fun to play, and like all lists, you'll find some missions to be more challenging than others (and some missions to be very, very easy).

Purchase #2: Farmer Maggot

I like Maggot a lot - in my mind, he's essential to any Shire list you write and he's got three dogs that can be used in Battle Companies. He was a pleasure to paint and I submitted him for the Drawn Combat April painting challenge.

Maggot is one of the best Shire heroes in the game - more on that in a few weeks!

Maggot is a great character and is used for exactly one mission, so if you don't have him, you can substitute him if you want to. Me, I want the guy (of course, this might also be because I have visions of a Shire army in the distant future . . . after I get everything I need for this book). :)

Purchase #3: Ringwraiths on foot and mounted

As I mentioned in my original post, I got lucky with these guys - found a pack of 8 mounted ringwraiths for dirt cheap (~$5/model). If you buy them off the store now, you're paying a good $9/model for the infantry and roughly $17/model for the cavalry - but at least they're available now, right? A great Legion to run and tricky models to master, these guys are iconic villains and can be absolute powerhouses on the board.

SSSSCCCCRRRREEEEEEEECCCCHHHH!

I went back and forth between the rocky ground terrain I use for my Orcs (more on them in a future post) and the grassy ground of the Shire for these guys and ultimately did both (based it for rocky ground, then added some patches of grass). I think they turned out alright.

Purchase #4: Gildor Inglorion

As I mentioned in the post on the models you need, I don't own this guy, but I plan to get him soon - he'll be in the next collection update.

Purchase #5: Tom Bombadil and Goldberry

I picked up Tom and Goldberry because my daughter liked the look of them (and I think they're good in Shire lists that focus on Gandalf, among other lists). These models are old, but I like the details on the models - especially Goldberry.

We are the ultimate cheat codes - even if Mumaks can charge us against our will!

You only use them in one mission and you're unlikely to use them both in Matched Play much, but they're great models to have.

Purchase #6: 4 Barrow-Wights

I have two Barrow-Wights, but need to get two more (also planning on getting them soon). These are great heroes for Matched Play - cheap Fortitude heroes who can neutralize big heroes who aren't good at resisting magic.

Two woozy spirits on wispy bases . . .

I used some cushion stuffing for the wispy mist on their bases - I find it to be very durable since it bends when tugged in different directions (which is great when your little children want a closer look). 

Purchase #7: Barliman Butterbur, Harry Goatleaf, and Bill the Pony

I don't own these guys but I like the models and plan to get them soon as well. I got the Ruffian heroes from Rythbyrt as a gift and can use Bill Ferny (center) in place of Harry Goatleaf and Sid Briarthorn (left) in place of Barliman Butterbur until I get the actual models. Bill can be substituted by basically any mounted model.

Looking for trouble . . .

Purchase #8: Arwen Undomiel

Centaur got me Arwen ages ago and now that my daughter likes to paint with me, she's undergone a wardrobe change or two. Here's her latest get-up.

There aren't many casters who cost 70-points or less that scare you as much as Arwen - except maybe Barrow-wights.

While only a Minor hero (after an Errata dropped her from a Fortitude model), Arwen can provide a nasty surprise to the foes of Rivendell or the Fellowship - if you already have the Fellowship, she's not a bad addition to your army (60-70pts for another caster).


Conclusion

Here's how the standings look:

  • Current Model count: 
    • Part I: 36/42 (~86%)
  • Estimated cost remaining: ~$90
We'll have updates every few months with up-to-date standings in each post. If you're working towards collecting the models from these missions, drop us a line! Until next time, happy hobbying!

6 comments:

  1. Good work. Make sure you tune in to the Entmoot Podcast in the meantime for some top Quest Of The Ringbearer action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do - I recently re-listened to the QOTR pod you guys did, looking forward to more!

      Delete
    2. For those of you who haven't seen them yet, Farmer Maggot's Farm thru Fog on the Barrow-Downs is here: https://soundcloud.com/entmootpodcast/entmoot-29-scene-unseen.

      Nazgul in Bree thru Rivendell is here: https://soundcloud.com/entmootpodcast/entmoot-37-rolling-dice.

      Delete
  2. I'm also working through them, so might as well join the party. I'm trying to get to Rivendell before I go to college. Pictures for some: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zwDI4KRpcQ-HIljD-ZUw5KuyxwmvvDaY?usp=sharing

    I skipped Maggot's Farm, but instead played "The Hunt Begins" from the old FotR journeybook, with 16 Rangers of Gondor and the Nine.

    I then played "Three is Company", with all participants, because Gildor's back on GW now.

    Bucklebury Ferry I played on an old Docks of Harlond sculpted board I made for when I first got the game.

    The Old Forest I played through several times to get the rules right so Good could win - I forgot heavy objects (paralyzed friends) could be carried until the last time through!

    I'm set up for Fog on the Barrow-downs tomorrow, but I still need to paint the wights. I made custom barrows rather than just reuse hills.

    For the rest of the scenarios, I'm really going to have to pump out some terrain - definitely gonna homemake Weathertop, no way am I paying four hundred for it. I already have a ford board I played on for the Hunt Begins, so I'm covered for "Flight", which I'll be playing with Glorfindel, of course. After that, who knows how far I'll get.

    Happy collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looking for an affordable Weathertop, I'd recommend using the Ziterdes ruined watchtower for around $60. https://www.ziterdes.com/watchtower-ruin-nalog-14-97-x-14-18-x-4-73-6012009.html It's a little smaller, but not by much.

    ReplyDelete