Featured Post

Fleshing Out the Faction: Sharkey's Rogues (and The Chief's Ruffians)

Hey Reader! Welcome back to the blog! Having recently run Sharkey's Rogues at our 2024 Spring Zephyr Tournament , I've been thinking...

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Army Update: Rohan

Dear Reader,

As promised, this is a weekend update on my Rohan army, as I'll be focusing on Rohan - my first army ever! - in the month of November.  We're halfway through the month already, and I'm putting final touches on some new models and preparing for some conversions before getting in a few battle reports.

1.  New models!


As you will remember, I did a project this summer involving the creation of two mounted Rangers of the North for my Arnor forces.  From that project, I created two more Warriors of Rohan on foot (which are showcased in the picture above), and four more Riders of Rohan (also above).  One of them (the dude with the spear) will be converted over the next week or so into a Rider of Rohan with banner, as I'm preparing for a fully mounted Rohan force.

Since I was buying Rohan units, I also broke down and bought 3 more Rohan Royal Guards.  I love these guys, and they will form the crux of my updated Rohan Tactics Post in a few weeks.  I'm really excited about the ability to front a strong F4 D6 front line, as I think it will help to increase my sustainability and viability in combat.



2.  Current Army
Currently, my army looks like this:


There are also four more Riders of Rohan who are off-screen; they're still being finished (but shown in the first picture).  I run three detachments in my force: Westfold (left, in brown and tan), Edoras (center, in green and grey), and Dunharrow (right, in blue and black).  The total unit breakdown for all three detachments is:

(Heroes)
-Eomer, Knight of the Pelennor Fields (foot and mounted)
-Rohan Captain
-King's Huntsman

(Warriors)
-6 Rohan Royal Guards
-3 Rohan Royal Guards w/ throwing spears
-10 Riders of Rohan (one will become a bannerman)
-2 Riders of Rohan w/ throwing spears
-1 Warrior of Rohan w/ banner
-17 Warriors of Rohan w/ shields
-18 Warriors of Rohan w/ shields/throwing spears
-16 Warriors of Rohan w/ bows (who will be transformed into Rohan Outriders - more on that in a future post)

The army as-is comes out to about 940 points as I would run it, so almost 1000 points.  With the potential of allying in Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, or Boromir (all of whom I would consider adding to a Rohan army, and often have in the past), I'm at the point now where I've got a solid core for games of 1000 points, allowing me to have some choices of selection for games of that size.  Future additions (so that I can run a 600-pt mounted force + RRGs) will include a few Sons of Eorl, an Eowyn, and a few Mounted Rohan Royal Guards, which altogether will push the army well over 1000 points without allies.  So we'll see how that goes, :)

3.  Plans for November: The Quests of the Men of Dunharrow!

My plan for November is to play a series of games (probably bleeding into December) using my Dunharrow army.  Since painting it, these warriors (I can't explain why) have been the most resilient part of my army, fending off enemies even when the stats say they shouldn't.  I'm hoping to put this army to the test, pitting them against challengers as they come.  Here are the rules for the battles, and the breakdown of my army:

-Armies will consist of up to 400 points (with a .5% grace limit, for a total of 402 pts), either in the Warbands scheme, or dedicating at least 175 pts to heroes
-Scenarios may include any scenario used in a tournament at TMAT, as well as any other scenario agreed upon by the players before the game (which is to say, I don't have a preference, but no making up scenarios with odd special rules purely for the purpose of your game against my list! :D )
-Up to two games may be played against the same army list, and all games against the same list must use different scenario rules unless a "grudge match" is declared.  A "grudge match" will mimic the first game in all scenario rules, terrain deployment, and army lists, but army placement and turn order will be determined normally.

With no further ado, the Men of Dunharrow!

The Men of Dunharrow (Rohan, Warbands)
Warband 1
-Eomer, Knight of the Pelennor Fields (Army Leader): 130 points
-5 Rohan Royal Guards: 50 pts
-1 Rider of Rohan: 13 pts
-1 Rider of Rohan w/ throwing spears: 15 pts
-2 Warriors or Rohan w/ shields/throwing spears: 18 pts
-2 Warriors of Rohan w/ shields: 14 pts

Warband 2
-Captain of Rohan w/ hvy armor/shield: 55 pts
-1 Rohan Royal Guard: 10 pts
-3 Rohan Royal Guards w/ throwing spears: 36 pts
-1 Warrior of Rohan w/ banner: 31 pts
-1 Rohan Outrider ("Hawk Eye"): 7 pts
-3 Warriors of Rohan w/ shields: 21 pts

TOTAL: 22 units, 400 pts, 5 Might

I don't think this is the most "competitive"build for a Rohan force, but it's how I've painted up this force to date, and I look forward to testing it!  It's been so long since I've sat down to play with Rohan, it feels good to just be in the saddle again with this force.  I'm hoping to get in a game this upcoming weekend (if not sooner), so I'll see you when I post next.  Happy hobbying!

Watching the stars,

Glenstorm

"We are not all like the traitor Firenze, human girl!  Perhaps you thought us pretty talking horses?  We are an ancient people who will not stand wizard invasions and insults!" ~ Magorian, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment